Michael Christopher Salon Blog
Michael Christopher Speaks is the blog for Michael Christopher Salon located in Wilmington, DE. Learn helpful hints, watch how to videos, be the first to see new products, and upcoming events at the salon.
When and how to let go and go for the gray
When is the right time to let my hair go gray? That really is up to you, sometimes gray hair can be as youthful as those with hair color. Not everyone can wear gray hair well, no matter how pretty the color is.
Gray can wash out your skin tone or enhance your skin with a beautiful glow. There are almost "ahem....50 Shades of Grey", there is white gray, silver gray, beige gray, yellow gray and even blue gray (from some shampoos).
If you are trying to decide to go gray - look at your roots in the mirror. Cover the rest of your hair with your hands and focus on your roots. You will want to note what color tone your gray is and the amount of gray whether it be 10%, 25% or 50% etc. The more dramatic a presence of gray the better chance the transformation will work. Gray hair needs to be healthy, shiny and coiffed with a chic crisp cut.
Are you ready to try it? Remember you can always go back to color if you don't like it, that takes a lot of the pressure off. These next steps should only be done by a really good, professional hairstylist because it can be tricky.
3 Steps to going gray are:
1) Cut hair off as short as the re-growth
2) Start going lighter each time you have your color done until you are as light as possible.
3) A very fine but heavy highlight to match your gray (difficult to do - that is why a great hairstylist is needed)
Steps 1 and 2 are instant gratification and Step 3 takes about 1 year depending on hair regrowth.
After that it is style and go and don't forget a good professionally recommended shampoo. Michael Christopher has a full line of professional hair care products. He highly recommends True Hue Highlights Shampoo and Michael Christopher Erase scalp and hair exfoliator.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- The Reinvention of Michael Christopher—Again
- The cutting edge
- The Knot Dream Wedding Makeup Artist Talks Bridal Beauty
- Sanctuary in Greenville
- STYLE MAVEN GETS NEW LOOK OF HIS OWN
- THE KILLER COOL RE-EMERGENCE OF A SALON
- When and how to let go and go for the gray
- Relaxers-Straighteners-Keratin Treatments "Oh My"
- Two types of Hair loss - Internal and External
- Michael Christopher Hemphill, salon pioneer